Welcome to the Great Northern Railway Historical Society
The GNRHS is dedicated to the preservation, study, and history of one of America's greatest railroads, the Great Northern Railway.
To Society Members, we offer carefully-researched Reference Sheets, a quarterly GN Goat publication, an annual calendar, discounts on model kits, books, CD's and other items, and an annual convention to discover all things Great Northern. Learn more.
For researchers the GNRHS Archives hold historic photos and documents on a wide range of Great Northern subjects.
For a quick overview of all GNRHS has to offer, explore the menu above. JOIN GNRHS now!
The St Cloud convention July 22-26 will focus on the history of the Great Northern in St Cloud and Waite Park, Minnesota, with tours and presentations. The banquet, raffle and Model Display are also part of the great line-up we will have this year. CLICK HERE for full details or click here for the timecard.
Full registration package is in the March GOAT magazine, and also available online. If you prefer to pay by check, you may click here to download a registration form.
SAVE $25 by registering before June 16. We hope to see you there!
** REGISTER NOW **
UPDATE: GNRHS members & friends, please help spread the word by downloading and printing this flyer and distributing it – to model railroad clubs, local museums, railroad-themed businesses, hobby stores, community boards, or any place you believe a passer-by might be interested.
Many thanks to convention co-chairs Francina and Tom Carr, along with Bob Kelly, Mary McGlothlin, Jim Betz, Jeff Otto, the CPHA crew and so many others that helped make the joint GNRHS/CPHA convention in Nelson BC a success. Over 150 attendees enjoyed beautiful weather and a full program of clinics, tours, model displays and fellowship.
So what’s next? Mark your calendars for these upcoming GNRHS conventions:
JULY 22 to JULY 26, 2023
ST CLOUD, MINNESOTA
BEST WESTERN KELLY INN
Click here for a very preliminary timecard.
SEPTEMBER 14 to SEPTEMBER 18, 2024
DELTA HOTELS BY MARRIOTT
ST PAUL, MINNESOTA
Dates and location to be determined. Planning is underway for potential Joint GNRHS, NPRHA and Burlington Route Convention
Posted on December 14, 2022, by admin
Hello GNRHS members:
We are getting excited as the Nelson 2022 Convention approaches, held jointly by GNRHS and the Canadian Pacific Historical Association:
• The dates are Saturday September 17 through Wednesday Sept 21 inclusive – IT’S NOT TOO LATE to register!
• Full registration package is available online. Click here for the timecard.
- If you’re already registered, you can still book a space for these activities:
- Touchstones Museum – for the official opening ceremony of their new Kootenay Railways exhibit
- Nelson Heritage Tramshops (reception & tour of their shop and streetcars)
- Ainsworth Hot Springs for a relaxing and enjoyable time in their outdoor pools, followed by self-pay lunch at the Indigenous inspired Ktunaxa Grill overlooking Kootenay Lake
- Banquet with Keynote speaker Robert Turner
- Spokane <-> Nelson Shuttle bus, before and/or after the convention
- Ainsworth Hot Springs activity – we had to change the meal to lunch as they aren’t open for breakfast on Wednesdays
- Currently all international travellers coming to Canada must:
- be fully vaccinated for COVID – they ask about your first and second vaccines
- have a valid passport
- create an online account with ArriveCan beforehand – involves scanning your passport and COVID vaccination documents ahead of time (digital photos accepted)
- the free website is – https://canada.ca/en/border-services-agency/services/arrivecan.html
- You must also register your visit via your account within 72 hours of your planned border crossing – phone users may need to update your ArriveCan app first
- Smartphone – register via ArriveCan Mobile App so you can show your receipt that way at the border
- Computer – register online then print your registration receipt to show at the border – have someone help you if this is challenging for you
- Please consider bringing something for the Model and Photo display (Sun & Mon)
- We’d like to see your work-in-progress or completed models and photos to display. Admire the great skills of fellow members. Talk with others to get tips, problem solve, and share ideas.
- Jim Betz is offering layout planning help during convention – contact him at email@example.com to arrange a time with him
- Review the updated Aug 16th timecard – there may have been some small changes to start/stop times of some activities
- Burger Buffet – there will be 2 seatings due to the large number of attendees who have paid for this activity
- 1st seating – 4-6pm
- 2nd seating – 6-8pm
- Please let us know which seating you prefer – by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or when you arrive at the Convention Registration desk in Nelson
- Tickets indicating your seating choice will be given out at the registration desk
- A simultaneous craft-beer tasting will be held in the adjoining Prestige Port701 Lounge
CLICK HERE for full convention details…
Posted on August 20, 2022, by admin